The National Library Creative Residency is a new programme that invites creatives from different artistic disciplines to draw inspiration from the National Library Board's collections, to reimagine or reinterpret the items in ways that provide fresh perspectives and make them more engaging to a wider community of users. We are keen to collaborate with creatives who employ innovative and imaginative methods to create conceptualizations of new works inspired by collections from the National Library, Singapore (NLS) and the National Archives of Singapore (NAS). The Residents will be required to share the concepts of their new creative work that could take the forms of videos, publications, literary works, artworks, musical compositions, or more, to enhance or reshape discovery, exploration, and engagement with our collections and content.
The NLS and NAS are the custodians of Singapore’s documentary history and published heritage. The NLS’ core collections offer a wealth of information for studying the contemporary and historical developments of Singapore and the region. The NAS holds records of national or historical significance acquired from public agencies, private sources, and overseas institutions and archives. Applicants are encouraged to propose ways of using both our digital collections and physical collections.
We welcome applicants to propose projects that make effective and meaningful use of our collections. Applicants are to propose and employ suitable methods to demonstrate the possibilities of creating new creative works inspired by the collections. The themes include but are not limited to the following:
- Place histories in Singapore;
- Social history of Singapore through photographs, oral histories, and other relevant collections;
- Singapore’s visual culture in design and everyday life;
- Stories and narratives from Singapore literature.
Who can Apply?
The Creative Residency is open to Singapore-based creative practitioners (individuals or collectives) working in any discipline or form of expression. This includes but is not limited to visual and digital media artists, composers, musicians, designers, writers, and creatives in any discipline or subject. We also welcome creative individuals from inter-disciplinary fields.
Successful applicants should possess relevant research and artistic credentials or its equivalent. Applicants should preferably have an established record of achievement in their chosen field of research and the potential to excel further.
Terms of the Award
The award of the Residency is for a period of six months.
- A stipend of S$3,000 per month will be provided to help Residents meet their living and local expenses.
- In addition to the stipend, Residents will be provided with up to $6,000 (on reimbursement basis) for the purchase of materials for the conceptualization, or materials that are directly related to the project and/or used for the duration of the residency.
- Residents shall be responsible for obtaining all required licenses, permits, permissions, and other authorization to use any photographs, copyrighted materials or other property, or other rights belonging to third parties that are used for the project.
Applications for the next cycle will open in 2022.
For further information about the Residency, please contact:
The Administrator, National Library Creative Residency