8 Raffles Avenue
Mon - Sun: 11:00 AM - 07:00 PM
Closed at 5.00pm on eves of Christmas,
New Year & Chinese New Year
Closed on Public Holidays
Bookdrop hours: 8.00am - 10.00pm
- All public libraries will reopen on 1 July 2020 with shorter opening hours from 11.00 am to 7.00 pm. We will be implementing timed entry and limiting each patron’s visit to our public libraries to 30 minutes.
- Book your 30-minute slot one day in advance before visiting the library: go.gov.sg/library-visit-booking
- Bookdrop and Reservation Lockers are accessible from 8.00 am to 10.00 pm. Bookings are not required for Book Drop and Reservation Pick-up.
- Check real time crowd capacity before you visit our premises: go.gov.sg/library-visit-crowd.
- Patrons who visit our facilities must observe the Ministry of Health’s advisories such as the use of SafeEntry for check in and check out, compulsory wearing of mask, temperature taking, and safe distancing measures.
to get Adobe reader
How to get there
Nearest MRT: City Hall / Esplanade
Click here to view Floor map
Buses: 36, 56, 70, 97, 111, 133, 162, 195, 502, 502A, 75, 77, 106, 171, 700A, 857, 960
The library@esplanade, Singapore's first public library dedicated to the performing arts, was officially opened on 12 September 2002 by Mr Khaw Boon Wan, then Senior Minister of State for Transport and Information, Communication and the Arts.
A one-stop resource library for the performing arts, library@esplanade also offers information and services in the areas of music, dance, theatre and film. Besides the collections, the library is also host to a variety of performing arts related programmes and exhibitions. The library's location on the third level of the Esplanade – Theatres on the Bay is unique within Singapore, and makes it one of the few libraries in the world to be co-located within a performing arts complex. It spans an area of approximately 2,300 square metres.
In keeping with its theme, the library has adopted the metaphor of a village to lay out the collection into four performing arts ‘Villages’: Music, Dance, Theatre and Film. Library resources are categorised by village, with different media formats, print and non-print, found alongside each other, allowing for greater accessibility and convenience. These are the collection highlights for each of the villages:
- Dance performance and instructional videos
- Dance notations
- Books on choreography and dance education
- DVDs that include blockbuster, art and foreign language films
- Movie tie-ins
- Books on film production, post-production, film history, film studies, biographies, and various film genres
- Music CDs including classical and pop music
- Music performance and instructional videos
- Music scores and sheet music
- Play scripts
- Opera and musical theatre videos
- Books on dramaturgy, stagecraft and drama education
Facilities for Performing Arts
The library@esplanade has facilities catered to the performing arts, that are available for rent. These include:
- Screening Rooms
- Piano Practice Room
- Silent Studio
For rental rates and other information on these facilities, please refer to the NLB Facilities Booking page here.
Reference Collections (RCLOS)
The library@esplanade is home to a number of Audio-Visual reference collections, which may be requested for viewing within the library premises. These include:
- Arts Alive Collection
- W!ld Rice Collection
- Asian Film Archive Collection
For more information on these collections, please click here.
For more info, click on library details
Performing Arts Collection