Interlibrary loan (ILL) is the loan of materials between libraries and organisations. It can include the delivery of books and serials between libraries and organisations. The National Library Board (NLB) allows institutions to borrow Reference and Lending items for their organisation's use, subject to prevailing guidelines.
We provide loans of library materials only to registered Interlibrary Loan (ILL) members. Institutions in Singapore must first be registered as an Institutional Member of NLB to use the ILL service.
For members of the public with a valid NLB library membership and wish to enquire about loan of non-NLB materials from overseas libraries, please approach the Reference Counter at the National Library or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eligibility & Privileges
Library Association of Singapore (LAS).
- Government ministries and statutory boards in Singapore.
- Institutions approved for membership by Deputy Director of Lee Kong Chian Reference Library (LKCRL).
- Each member is entitled to one membership card that must be presented when collecting items.
- Members may borrow a maximum of 20 items for 7 or 21 days.
- Institutional members and overseas libraries may also request for a photocopy instead of a loan as part of the Document Delivery Service provided by LKCRL.
Application for membership
- Please click
here to download the application form and email the completed form to us at email@example.com.
Items NOT available for loan
- Singapore and foreign newspapers
- Reference journals, annuals, proceedings, society transactions and other serials Encyclopaedias, latest yearbooks and annual reports
- Autographed books, donors' collections, manuscripts, rare books and items in fragile condition
- Microfilms, ephemera and loose leaf items
- Reference CD-ROMS
- Exceptions will be addressed on a case-by-case basis.
Summary of request, collection & return point
Location of NLB items
Repository Used Reference (RUR)
Fax: +65 6332 3248
Level 8 at LKCRL
Level 8 at LKCRL
Other NLB Branches
Holding library branch
Bookdrop of any branch
- Collect the items in person or through an authorised bearer at the holding library. The authorised bearer should provide a letter from the Institutional or Corporate member authorising him/her to collect the items on the member's behalf.
- Membership card must be presented during collection of the item/s.
- Postage and other applicable 3rd party charges shall be borne by the customers.
- Postage Costs, if applicable, can be found here