The Consult a Subject Librarian service is an appointment-based reference service offered at the Lee Kong Chian Reference Library (LKCRL). You can make an appointment with a subject librarian to help you with research on the following subjects:
Singapore History and Heritage
Singapore Literary Arts
Our subject librarians will help you identify relevant sources, share available resources in LKCRL as well as compile a listing of materials relevant to your research. Consultations may be conducted onsite at LKCRL or via online meeting apps such as Zoom.
You may request this service at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on the Consult a Subject Librarian service, please refer to our FAQs.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Who is eligible to make an appointment?
This free service is available to library patrons who require assistance and guidance in research in the following subjects:
- Singapore History and Heritage
- Singapore Literary Arts
2. What does the Consult a Subject Librarian service include?
This personalised reference service includes:
A reference interview conducted by the subject librarian to ascertain the scope of the required research topic;
Relevant sources available in the Lee Kong Chian Reference Library (LKCRL) identified by the subject librarian that includes primary materials such as manuscripts and typescripts, publications in our Legal Deposit collection, reference closed access collection (RCLOS) and materials in the library’s subscribed online databases;
A listing of materials (up to 10 titles) relevant to the research area according to the researcher’s needs;
An in-depth sharing session on the available resources in LKCRL relevant to the research topic
3. What type of assistance is excluded from this service?
The Consult a Subject Librarian service does not
offer guidance and assistance on requests not related to Singapore History and Heritage and Singapore Literary Arts;
offer advice on school homework, quiz questions, crossword puzzles, questions for competitive gain (e.g. gambling or contests) and medical or legal questions. However, resources for self-directed research in these areas may be suggested;
- provide research or tutoring service.
4. When can I make an appointment to
meet the subject librarian
Appointments are scheduled for Mondays to Fridays, between 10am to 12noon and between 2pm to 7pm.
5. How do I make an appointment?
- You may make an appointment by sending an email to email@example.com. A staff member will contact you by email/phone within five working days to schedule an appointment. Advanced booking is advised.
- For onsite requests, our counter staff will assist you.
6. How long is the consultation session?
A consultation session will usually be between 30 to 60 minutes. Library users are
allowed one session per week only.
7. Where will the consultation session be held?
A consultation session may take place in LKCRL or via online meeting apps such as Zoom.
8. I need to cancel my appointment. What is the best way to do this?
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to cancel the appointment.
9. Are there other ways to get help from a librarian?
For questions that do not require an appointment-based service, you may use our Ask A Librarian service or approach our counter staff.
LKCRL reserves the right to redirect the requests to Reference Point (RP) for enquiries that do not require an appointment-based service.