||Six Strategic Thrusts of Library 2000
- Establish an adaptive public library system consisting of a network of national reference libraries, a three-tier public library system of regional, community and neighbourhood libraries, assist in the setting up of school libraries, and develop specialised libraries for specific sectors.
- Create a network of borderless libraries linking all publicly-funded libraries within Singapore to overseas libraries and information services through computer networking.
- Put in place a coordinated national collection strategy.
- Offer quality service through market orientation.
- Create symbiotic linkages with government, business and the general public.
- Help shape Singapore into a global knowledge hub offering information on regional business and culture.