Charm your way to a lucky year of the Dog!
Relive the good old days and send New Year’s greetings to your friends in a specially designed card.
Wish your elders good health through a greeting card. Learn some Chinese New Year greetings below!
How to redeem the Myth Masters limited edition Chinese New Year greeting cards:
Step 1: Visit participating Public Libraries from 4 Feb – 3 Mar 2018, at the same spawn locations as the General Forces cards
Step 2: Borrow 6 non-English library titles (i.e. books in the Mother Tongue Languages)
Step 3: Get 1 greeting card! (while stocks last)
Chinese New Year’s Greetings
During Chinese New Year, you will hear people saying greetings to each other. These greetings are all well-wishes that we have for each other and it is a cultural practice that has been passed down for years. One of the more common well-wishing format is using Chinese idioms. Usually, we would say these two words ‘祝你’ (zhù nǐ) before our idiom to address the receiver of these well-wishes. It is also common for us to use a few idioms in one single greeting.
- 年年有余 (nián nián yǒu yú): May your new year be filled with abundance of everything good.
- 岁岁平安 (suì suì píng ān): May you have peace all year round.
- 大吉大利 (dà jí dà lì): May you have good luck and great prosperity.
The Kitchen God
The Kitchen God oversees the kitchen in every household. It is believed that on the 23rd day of the twelfth lunar month, just before the arrival of a new year, he will return to Heaven and report the good and bad deeds of each household over the past year to the Jade Emperor. While the Kitchen God is away, one must clean the house and pay homage to the Kitchen God. Thus, Spring Cleaning is always carried out on the 24th day of the twelfth lunar month. This year, this falls on 9 Feb, so get your cleaning supplies ready!
Yu Sheng (鱼生), also known as Prosperity Toss – Lo Hei (捞起) for the Cantonese, is a rainbow-coloured dish that is eaten during Chinese New Year. The Chinese believe that consuming Yu Sheng with family and friends will bring them good luck. This dish is especially popular during the 7th day of the first lunar month, also known as “The Day for Human Beings”, as it is the day where people celebrate the birth of all humans.
People usually recite certain Chinese phrases and sayings while they add and toss the ingredients of Yu Sheng together.
Do you know which auspicious phrases are associated with these ingredients? Let’s check them out!
- Ingredient #1: Carrot
- Phrase: 鸿运当头 (hóng yùn dāng tóu)
- Meaning: “Good luck is fast approaching.”
- Ingredient #2: Green Radish
- Phrase: 青春常驻 (qīng chūn cháng zhù)
- Meaning: “Blessed with eternal youth”
- Ingredient #3: Raw Fish
- Phrase: 年年有余 (nián nián yǒu yú)
- Meaning: “Having an abundance of good things throughout the year.”
- Ingredient #4: Pepper + Five Spice Powder
- Phrase: 五福临门 (wǔ fú lín mén)
- Meaning: “Having five blessings descending upon your house.”
- Ingredient #5: Sesame Oil
- Phrase: 财源滚滚 (cái yuán gǔn gǔn)
- Meaning: “Having profits pouring in from all sides.”
- Ingredient #6: Lime Juice + Plum sauce
- Phrase: 大吉大利 (dà jí dà lì), 甜甜蜜蜜 (tián tián mì mì)
- Meaning: “Having good luck and great prosperity”, “Having sweet and loving relationships.”
- Ingredient #7: Peanuts Crumbs & Golden crackers
- Phrase: 金银满屋 (jīn yín mǎn wū), 遍地黄金 (biàn dì huáng jīn)
- Meaning: “Having gold and silver filling up the entire house”, “Having endless opportunities.”
Check back next week for more Chinese New Year trivia!
After a million years wandering among the stars, you chance upon a vibrant land full of life. You meet Chang’e, who calls it Earth. She shows you the magnificent beauty of the mountains, seas, and forests, as well as the cities teeming with mankind.
However, beneath the flurry of life runs an undercurrent of conflict between the deities and demons. It is up to you now to find your calling in this new home, gather your powers, and prepare for the ultimate battle!
How to start assembling your troops:
Step 1: Visit participating Public Libraries – the characters will spawn for a very limited time at specific locations!
Step 2: Borrow 2 non-English library titles (i.e. books in the Mother Tongue Languages)
Step 3: Get 1 chance to redeem a Myth Masters card from the Lucky Dip box!
For Messenger Pigeon Reports, go to Spawn Locations.